Tuesday, July 13, 2010

swim…bike…AND…run!!

Just wanted to share a few stories from our first triathlon this past weekend.

I was a nervous wreck the night before and the morning of the race. And Mike was totally fine. Now when we got to the race and started to set up, my nerves totally quit and I was ready to go. Mike was the opposite and that’s when he started to get nervous.

So here’s how it goes… First you set up your transition area with all the gear you will need for switching between the Swim and Bike and the Bike and Run. Then all the racers get lined up in swim time order. So basically you swim with people about your same speed. We all jump in the pool 3 seconds apart so it allows for space between each person and not TOO much swimming on top of each other. I was further back in line than Mike who’s swim time put him around top 10 of the racers! It was neat being able to see him finish his swim before I got in the pool.

So I got in the water and was pleased to note that I did not get passed in the water nor did I pass which means I had placed myself well within my time. After finishing 8 lengths of the pool, I got out of the and ran down barefoot to the transition area where I began preparing for the bike. I put on my bike shoes, helmet, got some water and set out to start the 6.5mile bike.

The bike was successful and I had to make sure not to push myself too crazy hard so that I had energy left for the run! It was a great ride and although I got passed some, I knew that I was making good time from where I thought I would be in practice. (I had a stop watch on and was able to pace myself that way!) The “dismount” from the bike is always tricky esp. with clip in shoes… see previous bike story =)

I then headed into the transition area one more time to switch from the bike to the run. Let me tell you that when you first get off the bike and switch to running… you look like a baby giraffe trying to walk for the first time. Your legs just don’t work right. I was pretty tired heading into the run and of course the first stretch is uphill. I told myself just to keep running. Then..you know on TV if you’ve ever watched a race you see them get water while running and stuff… well its not as easy to drink and run at the same time. Mike and I both about choked on our water!! I definitely was sputtering!

Well I was still pacing myself well and was hoping to finish the race under 1 hour. I finished off strong and almost at a dead sprint and was pleased to discover my time was 53:53!!! I was so excited to not only beat my goal but by quite a bit! I also finished 3rd in my age group out of six racers and Mike finished 7 out of 12 in his age group with a time of 47:08! I won a mug for my 3rd place finish.

Here are some pictures!

We’re planning to do our next on on August 7! Can’t wait. Its going to be a 200m swim, 9mi Bike, 3.1 mi run… a little longer than the last one but we’re pumped!

3 comments:

  1. Congratulations, you both did great!!! I love the mug too :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, great job! That is such a cool things for you guys to do together.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job! Thanks for sharing the pictures, we're proud of you both!

    ReplyDelete